It seems like all my friends are getting pregnant lately (watch out whoever rubbed my belly! haha). I wanted to put together a post that could make things a little easier for them while getting ready for baby. When I was pregnant, I searched the internet to find whatever helpful information I could on what I needed for the hospital. It was a little overwhelming. So I hope this post helps get you started or reminds you to put something in that bag. This is going to be broken down into three sections, delivery day bag (for mom and baby), dad’s bag and optional. I included dads in this because they’re pretty awesome and could probably need a little help on what to take too. The optional section is for the little extra you might want to take, but are not necessities. Keep in mind, I’m keeping this to must haves. I’ll do another post on nursery items soon.
Delivery Day Bag (for mom and baby)
- DON’T FORGET THE CARSEAT! – You can take your seat to get inspected to be sure you installed it correctly. Visit http://www.safercar.gov/parents/CarSeats/Car-Seat-Safety.htm and click on GET YOUR SEAT INSPECTED (on the left). Everyone should do this.
- Comfy PJs x 3 – In case your stay goes longer than expected.
- Undies – The granny kind.
- Maternity bra / Cami
- Boppy feeding pillow
- Breast pump
- Going home outfit for you and baby – Your clothes should be comfy and stretchy. Remember, you can expect to be at the size you were at 6 months pregnant when you leave the hospital.
- Belly Bandit – Ask the hospital to see if they have a similar one for you to have. I bought my Bandit and it didn’t fit at the hospital, they gave me one similar to the Bandit to wear and keep till I could fit into my Bandit.
- Post pregnancy panty – THESE are really awesome.
- Extra Bag – For all the goodies the hospital gives you and baby.
- Folder – For all the paperwork the hospital gives.
- Wallet – For debit card, insurance card, ID, pediatricians card (with phone number and address)
- Phones and chargers
- Cash – This is helpful for valet at the hospital. Daddy doesn’t have to rush to find the car! My husband also said it’s helpful to have cash because the café might be closed.
- Toothbrush / toothpaste
- Hair tie
I asked my husband what his bag would look like…
- Change of clothes – believe it or not, we actually didn’t pack this. He left work early and just picked me up from the house for my 39 week appointment. He had his dress clothes and dress shoes on.
- Tennis shoes
- Slippers and/or sandals
*can you tell he’s a minimalist?
- Pillows from home
- Scrubs like THESE for daddy. Who wouldn’t feel awesome in these? Comfort is a plus.
- Blanket for you and baby – Don’t forget, I can make you a couple HERE.
- Outfit for hospital photo for baby – Some hospitals offer photos to be taken of your baby. Be sure to include an extra outfit if this is something you want to do.
- Perfume / Body spray
- Lip balm – I would add this to the top list as a must, but it won’t be the end of the world if you forget lip balm. Your lips may get very chapped if you can only have ice chips.
- Foundation, blush, mascara – The last things you’re going to care about is how you look. Au Natural is beautiful to me anyway. That’s why I added it to this section because it’s not a necessity. Your choice.
- Camera – we used both our phones and Cannon.
I had Baby E in the wonderful Med Center of Houston. The nurses and doctors were amazing and treated me like a friend or family member. My labor was a little different than most. My water broke in my doctor’s office….WHILE I WAS GETTING CHECKED! Our bags were at home, not in the car yet. Rookie mistake! So my husband had to go home and get everything. So keep your bags ready to go in the car at least 2 weeks before due date. Lastly, if you have questions about ANYTHING, ask. Nurses, doctors, midwives, etc. can very accommodating. Remember, not all births are the same, not all families are the same, but I hope this helps get you started. Feel free to pick and choose what will work or won’t work for you. Good luck on this marvelous journey. You are amazing and your Baby Warrior will be amazing too!
Did I miss anything??? I very well could have. Let me know in the comments if you would add anything.
**This is not a sponsored post. This post is strictly my opinion. Please be kind, negativity will not be tolerated**